Abnormal tissue seen on cystoscopy may be sampled (biopsied) and sent to the lab to be examined under a microscope.
It usually takes 7-14 days for the final biopsy results. Your urologist will discuss the results with you.
Following the procedure
- You may have some blood in your urine and some discomfort with urination. This generally lasts only a day or two but may persist beyond that time period depending on the extent of the procedure.
- You may be given an oral antibiotic to prevent infection. Please read the prescription bottle and follow these instructions exactly.
- You may be given a medication to help with bladder discomfort and burning on urination. These medications are best taken with food and some may color the urine orange.
- Drink extra fluids the first day or two after the procedure, as it will clear any bleeding and help prevent infection.
- If you experience difficulty emptying your bladder, excessive pain or temperature greater than 100 degrees, call your physician immediately. Our staff is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.