CAMC's highly-skilled cardiovascular staff offers a variety of state-of-the-art heart procedures for narrowed and/or leaking heart valves and other cardiovascular diseases. Some of these many procedures include:
- Heart valve replacement and/or repair, sometimes using a minimally invasive approach
- Atrial and ventricular septal defect closure
- Aortic aneurysm/dissection surgery
- Operations to correct heart rhythm disturbances such as the Cox Maze procedure for atrial fibrillation
- Ross procedure
- Cardiac tumor resection, including atrial myxomas
- Right and left heart perfusion assist such as the Abio Med
For patients with severely restricted vessels in the aorta, which are considered inoperable, CAMC will soon offer transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) where the aortic valve is replaced without opening the chest. With this recently FDA-approved procedure, the new valve is crimped on a balloon, passed through an artery and positioned inside the narrowed valve. It is then deployed by inflating the balloon, leaving a new, fully-functional valve.
CAMC's multidisciplinary surgical staff is dedicated to high quality care. If you think you may have a cardiac condition or are at risk for cardiac disease, download this risk assessment and consult your primary care physician.