CAMC has two programs to assist patients in need of financial assistance:
Charity – No payment will be expected from patients who meet the criteria for charity assistance. The main requirements for charity assistance are as follows:
- Income at 200% or less of the Federal poverty income and resource guidelines, and,
- Insufficient assets to pay for the care (assets of $50,000 or less are excluded), and,
- Not eligible for any public programs (such as, Medicaid, Medicare, etc.)
Uninsured Discount – Any patient without third-party coverage will be given a 50% discount from charges. (The 50% discount is greater than any discount given to a non-governmental HMO or insurance company.)
CAMC patients in need of financial assistance are required to provide accurate and complete information to the Hospital and, when possible, to enroll in a publicly sponsored insurance program. Uninsured patients who do not provide income verification will automatically qualify for a 50% discount from charges.
The Hospital will communicate this policy to the public by the following means:
- The Hospital will conspicuously post in all registration areas of the Hospital the telephone number that patients may call to obtain further information on the Hospital's uninsured/charity care policy;
- The Hospital's patient handbook will include information on the Hospital's uninsured/charity care policy;
- The Hospital's computerized billing statements will include information on the uninsured/charity care policy including contact information, telephone numbers and an Email address for any patient requesting assistance.
Family Unit Size
2015 Poverty guidelines
More than 8 persons add $4,060 for each additional person.
Assets included in the $50,000 exclusion:
- Real property
- Recreation vehicles
- Bank accounts
- Rental property
- Other investments
Applicants with personal assets exceeding $50,000 in value and/or exceeding the Income Guidelines will be reviewed on an individual basis. Cases involving catastrophic medical claims/medications (proof required) will be considered for charity assistance only after consideration of income, assets and uninsured status.
Cases in which a patient exceeds both the established income and asset guidelines will not be eligible for consideration except in special circumstances determined by collection supervisor/management.
Applicants who do not qualify under the guidelines will be notified.
Click here for a copy of a Patient Financial Statement application. Please complete all fields on the application. If a field does not pertain to the applicant, mark N/A.
In order to process the Patient Financial Statement quickly and efficiently, please provide last month copies of the following as they pertain to applicant: paycheck stubs, Social Security check, Unemployment or Worker's Compensation check, child support verification, retirement or pension check, and/or bank statement.
If the applicant has no income and/or food and shelter is provided by someone other than the applicant, click here for a copy of a Proof of No Income form. The form must be signed by the applicant and notarized.
Please return completed application and all pertinent information to:
Fax to (304)-388-3596
Mailing to the following address:
Charleston Area Medical Center
501 Morris Street
Charleston WV 25301