The da Vinci Surgical System provides advanced capabilities that allow surgeons to perform complex procedures with greater accuracy through tiny incisions. Robotic-assisted surgery allows surgeons to perform a wide range of urologic procedures through 1 to 2 centimeter incisions, from kidney removal to removing part, or all, of the prostate gland, while achieving equal, or better, clinical outcomes.
Advantages of da Vinci Prostatectomy:
- Shorter hospital stay
- Less pain
- Less risk of infection
- Less blood loss and transfusions
- Less scarring
- Faster recovery
- Quicker return to normal activities
- Lower incidence of impotence and urinary incontinence
- Potential for better cancer control
Robotic procedures actively performed at Charleston Area Medical Center include:
- Adrenalectomy: Removing the adrenal gland.
- Cystectomy: Removing the bladder and adjacent structures.
- Neobladder: Creation of a new bladder using the robotic procedure.
- Nephrectomy: Removing the kidney.
- Partial Nephrectomy: Removing a concerning portion of the kidney.
- Pelvic Lymph Node Dissection: Removing lymph nodes in the pelvis.
- Prostatectomy: Removing the prostate gland.
- Pyeloplasty: Reconstructing part of the kidney so urine can freely flow into the bladder.
- Ureterolysis: Freeing up the ureter from adjacent adhesions.